Well after two weeks of trying to write this second project I think I am throwing in the towel. I have not received one positive or even constructive comment on my piece, my ideas or my process so I feel I have to scrap everything and start over new. I'm not sure yet if I'll keep with the idea of the trio writing, it seems to be causing too much pointless controversy. I think I'll focus my time on writing a piece just to emulate the assignment's aim, and save trying to write a piece of music that expresses myself in my free time.
One thing for certain is that I am scrapping the recorders. I love them, and was very excited to be writing for them, but since only one of my players is a virtuoso, this piece would need the rest of us to practice a lot and work on our parts. Since I have 2 weeks of so to pull this together I don't want to be asking that of my performers in such a busy time of year. So I may switch to violin, violin, cello, or violin, viola, cello, where in either case I can easily get superb musicians in all instruments so that the piece will require less time on their behalf; no offence to my trio ensemble.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Mike, I'm not sure how we got from "The class comments were very constructive, and I believe most enjoyed the sonorities of the recorders; especially those who never saw/heard the bass recorder before," on October 30, to "I have not received one positive or even constructive comment on my piece, my ideas or my process" on November 8.
In any event, what is clear is that you are feeling disappointed and frustrated, and I would like to talk to you about this, today, if possible.
I am not convinced that you need to scrap everything, although you are of course free to do this if you feel it best. I think there are ways to keep the gist of your idea, but with the different instrumental possibilities you suggest (i.e., string trio), and I'd like to discuss this with you at your earliest convenience.
Post a Comment