Well time has come for my second project: Writing a musical cliché that moves in an unexpected direction.
The cliché I want to use is a 1930's swing style, boogie woogie bass line. The thoughts of recorders entered my mind so I wanted to write something for recorder trio (Two soprano recorders [one doubling on alto recorder] and a bass recorder). It will be a lot of fun for I love the recorder. I then had envisioned a baroque trio movement, something in the style of Bach's organ trios. A slow movement with very static melodies in two top voices with a bass line that just chugs along. Then I thought it would be cool to have the bass slowly creep in idioms of a big band bass line. At first the melodic voices will still be in the trio style but they too will slowly creep into the 1920's big band style for the climax. So I guess you could say my cliché is the baroque trio style, and the unusual area that I am going to take it is the swing and boogie woogie bass of the roaring twenties. I am really looking forward to composing this project and am excited to see how it turns out.
The cliché I want to use is a 1930's swing style, boogie woogie bass line. The thoughts of recorders entered my mind so I wanted to write something for recorder trio (Two soprano recorders [one doubling on alto recorder] and a bass recorder). It will be a lot of fun for I love the recorder. I then had envisioned a baroque trio movement, something in the style of Bach's organ trios. A slow movement with very static melodies in two top voices with a bass line that just chugs along. Then I thought it would be cool to have the bass slowly creep in idioms of a big band bass line. At first the melodic voices will still be in the trio style but they too will slowly creep into the 1920's big band style for the climax. So I guess you could say my cliché is the baroque trio style, and the unusual area that I am going to take it is the swing and boogie woogie bass of the roaring twenties. I am really looking forward to composing this project and am excited to see how it turns out.
No comments:
Post a Comment