Saturday, October 11, 2008

Project 1 Completed

Well this past week saw my presentation to the class of my final composition project. I wanted to do something new to the class. I based my piece entirely on chord clusters. I started the piece with octave Ds that turn into seconds, then thirds, then clusters. I organized the clusters in specific regions that I wanted the registers to become prominent. The pedal on the piano is held throughout the piece which helps to add to the intensity throughout. The trombone line was written to be very lyrical. I was very happy with how the composition turned out, and I was extremely happy with how the performance when in class. I found playing it very exciting and it sure got my heart rate up!






As for feedback, Kate said that it seemed anticlimactic to build up the clusters and 'dance' rhythm in the A section, only to stop and repeat the A section again with the trombone line. I fully agree with this, and in the revision I took it into account. I build up in a similar way, and then add in the trombone. As for the trombone line, Phil said he enjoyed playing it and that it was a good trombone line. At the end the trombone belts out a chromatic line (that I realized later the player needs an F trigger to do) and Dylan said that the trombone line seem as if it came from a whole different instrument. As if Phil put down his horn and picked up something much larger and mammoth. Must have been the fortissaissaississamo!

This piece I enjoyed the most out of all three compositions. I enjoyed the conversation on aleatoric music that it sparked in class. Although I enjoyed this atonal composition, and am surprised in what I have achieved, I will still be very happy to see it end and move onto something else. Hopefully the enjoyment and excitement only increases with the next project.

No comments: