Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Reason to Continue

Since last weeks presentation of my piece with the midi malfunction was unsuccessful, today I presented my work again, but I used a recording of it which I recorded in the studio programme Reason. This new recording sparked much feedback which I have included below:

First is the Chiff of my electric organ sound was appreciated. I have no idea how to recreate this on the stage, or even what instrument I am going to use! But I’ll figure that out in time.

The classed really liked my pace of changing material, and economical recycling of material. I purposely did these things and was glad that it went noticed.

The textures made by the instruments were appreciated now with recording. For example things such as thinning out and tuttis were noticeable

Points for improvement include using proportional dissonance. I am suggested to make the introduction of dissonance is gradual and not out of the blue. Also I should pay attention to the registers I use and employ more register changes; most instruments stay in the same range.

I am also recommended to have a more gradual introduction of instruments at beginning, it seems like it is diving into a thick texture too fast. A gradual one would be better, with more time on each instrument introducing it. More development of earlier material.

Lastly in class today I was allowed time limit extension, I don’t know if I will use it, but it is nice knowing it is there if needed.

No comments: