This post will consist of how I’ve taken the comments on my piece and applied them to it.
Comments were made to the matter that I could explore more ranges of the three keyboard based instruments. Since my piece was relatively finished by this point I just made some registration changes in the instruments, such as re-voicing chords, etc. Throughout the piece this is a constant gradual raising of register in the three keyboard based instruments.
Comments were made about modulation (see previous post). I needed a lot of modulation in my piece to spice it up more. Also techniques such as triadic modulations, and planned modulation passages were recommended. I personally felt that my piece already had a fair bit of modulation in it, but due to the texture it was not all that apparent. To fix this I added sustained notes in the organ which often highlight the chord currently presented to a strong degree. Now for the middle sections the chords such as B-flat, E-flat, and g minor are highlighted. Also with regards to planned modulation. It was mentioned that to be very minimalistic I could go to key areas C, E-flat then G; outlining the starting C minor tonality. I tried to put this in, but I would have to revise a lot of work. Instead, I created a little bit of an E-flat middle section and moved the whole ending to G minor. Just for a finitely finish I moved back to E-flat major in what I feel is a Glass-like move.
He mentioned I need to either trim the piece or develop some sections more. For the length it is there is not enough material. I did a lot of trimming! I cut out almost all of the repeat signs. This cut down the length, and to develop what was left I applied the changes mentioned throughout this post.
He was impressed with my multiple rhythms and my constant division of the metre between simple and compound. He said I should continue with using it, it gives some parts an underlying layer of interest; different material to focus on. I kept with this and added in just a little bit more in the trumpet and the violin mainly.
Lastly he said he liked my piece the way it is, but if I had the time I could improve it greatly with a slow sustained B section perhaps. Well due to the fact the final copy was due in less than a week I understandably didn’t manage to add a B section. But I added a lot of sustained tones and chords in the organ part which I feel flushes out the middle section, both making it stand out from the A sections, and seem somewhat ‘slow.’
These are the changes I’ve made to the final copy. I’ve very happy with how the piece turned out. I’ve learned a lot about minimalism this semester so far. I’ve really enjoyed learning about it, and enjoy listening to it. I must admit though, it is far more difficult composing a piece of minimalist music then I expected. There is much more to it then some may think at first glance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment