Journal entries about original compositions in the works for my composition courses at Memorial University
Monday, September 29, 2008
Just for Fun
Just for fun I thought I'd upload my core for the fugue mentioned in the previous post. If anyone wishes to take a look at it feel free to download it.
There are only a small amount of 5 part fugues for keyboard by Bach. There are 4 I believe in both books of the Well-Tempered Clavier I believe, and I know of only one for the organ which is in the Clavierubung III. I do know that the majority of his vocal fugues from late in his life, say as in the b minor mass, are all for five voices. He does tend to stick with just four most the time. : )
Oops! I didn't see your response to my question 'till just now, so I'm not sure how much use it will be to respond in turn, but just in case you do see this, I wanted to say that I think you misunderstood my question.
I asked how many Bach fugues do you know that fit onto 5 systems, not how many 5-voice fugues do you know... My point simply being that, as Bach fugues go, yours is relatively brief (especially since 5-voice fugues tend to be longer than 3- and 4- voice fugues by necessity), so I was trying to get you to consider whether it might have been a good idea to expand it.
But no matter, since the composition is finished and has been performed (and performed very well, and received very well, I might add!).
3 comments:
Cool! Incidentally, I just noticed that there is a mis-spelling in your title. The plural of 'voce' is 'voci'.
Another thought: how many Bach fugues do you know of that fit onto 5 systems of music?
There are only a small amount of 5 part fugues for keyboard by Bach. There are 4 I believe in both books of the Well-Tempered Clavier I believe, and I know of only one for the organ which is in the Clavierubung III. I do know that the majority of his vocal fugues from late in his life, say as in the b minor mass, are all for five voices. He does tend to stick with just four most the time. : )
Oops! I didn't see your response to my question 'till just now, so I'm not sure how much use it will be to respond in turn, but just in case you do see this, I wanted to say that I think you misunderstood my question.
I asked how many Bach fugues do you know that fit onto 5 systems, not how many 5-voice fugues do you know... My point simply being that, as Bach fugues go, yours is relatively brief (especially since 5-voice fugues tend to be longer than 3- and 4- voice fugues by necessity), so I was trying to get you to consider whether it might have been a good idea to expand it.
But no matter, since the composition is finished and has been performed (and performed very well, and received very well, I might add!).
Post a Comment