Recently I have been listening to a lot of music by Philip Glass. I've become fascinated with his unique style and compositional sound. While I was looking for inspiration to write this piece I thought I would enjoy writing a piece in the style of Philip Glass.
To do this I am using mostly instruments with percussive attacks: Trumpet, Marimba, Piano, Organ, as well as the violin.
I was originally going to write for piano four hands but a fellow class mate said I might as well have the organ and the piano for different sound colours (such as Philip Glass also would do, a fan of the organ and sound colours).
I started with simple motifs and moving harmonic passages in a minimalistic style. It is surprisingly difficult to copy Glass's style using a solely aural knowledge of his works. I am enjoying it so far, and am enjoying the resulting textures of sound created.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment