In retrospect now I realize that I didn't directly follow the instructions. I was under the impression that I was to make a scale of my own creation, then come up with some chords and then write a little melody to show off the colours. So that is what I did.
I didn't want a dissonant scale. No matter what my result will be for this project, I know I want there to be the possibility for consonance. So I first picked the phrygian scale. I really enjoy the flat two going to one. Then I thought how much I'd rather have the raised 6th and 7th scale degrees leading to the root. So I devised a scale that would be practically the major scale, with a lowered 2nd and 3rd. I like this choice because it allows both consonance in the higher degrees, and dissoance in the lower.
If I based the scale on C the resulting pitches will be:
C D-flat E-flat F G A B C
In developing my chords I realied that some intersting colours develop because triads built on the 5th and 6th scale degrees have a diminshed 5th. So using triad chords I have three consecuative 'diminished' chords. I highlighted this in my chord/melody accompaniment.
I'm really happy with my scale and am glad that it was recieved well in class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment