Monday, March 2, 2009

Composition Concert Comments

I think the composition concert went well an all accounts for everyone.
Personally I was very happy with my piece’s performance. I think it went very well and I am very thankful to the musicians who performed for me. Personally I am kicking myself for not turning down the amplifier at the beginning of my piece, but there is no use worrying about it anymore. We set the level of it at the dress rehearsal but backstage prior to the concert or during the set it up it must have been nudged a bit.

I used a Roland SH201 connected by USB to the computer programme Reason to act as a MIDI controller. I used a Reason standard patch called the M100 Slow Rotor, simulating a Hammond B3 style sound.

I’m really happy with this composition. I feel I’ve learned a lot about this style and am happy with the outcome. If I’m ever to compose in this style again I may use more electronic elements. I really enjoyed writing for them and the possibilities they can have. I’ve enjoyed writing for this chamber ensemble and I am now looking forward to composing for concert band.

No comments: