Monday, March 9, 2009

Project 2

When I began thinking on what to compose for concert band I was very uncertain at first. One thing I’ve always believed and often used was to compose in forms I am already comfortable with which allows me explore my musical creativeness on pre-existing roads. What came to mind was writing a chorale prelude for concert band. I’m very familiar with the chorale prelude through organ music of composers such as Bach, but as well as Vaughan Williams whose chorale preludes have been famously arranged for concert band.

I originally thought to set Ein' feste Burg because it would be fun, but then I came to realize that any setting I did of it would be very traditionally tonal, and a tune like it would be difficult to set in a modern manner that I could be pleased with. I then though of the chorale Ich ruf zu dir. This chorale would allow me to write more chromatically and in a more modern practice manner. For inspiration I am looking towards the styles of Stravinsky. I think using a language like his will allow me to write a modern piece that I will be happy to call my own.

I plan on writing a free chorale where there are free composition floating around among the ensemble and then periodically the chorale melody will soar above the ensemble. So right now I am trotting along in the composition and we’ll see how it turns out.

No comments: