Today in class I presented my first ideas for my concert band piece. I only played on the piano so not everything came across.
The material I had to present consisted of the first minute or so of music. I started with a melody that was based on the first phrase of the chorale tune. Then I create a ‘fugue-like’ exposition. There are three more voices that enter with a subject / countersubject method. This continues until all the voices are in and in an episode; that is when I enter in the first phrase of the tune which is carried by the horns.
The class seemed pleased with my presentation.
Some points that people liked included the contrapuntal texture. The imitation and thin textured quality were enjoyed as well.
Also the class mentioned they liked my harmonic language. I use a diatonic (con-chromatic) approach, yet my chord relationships are not traditional. For example the first subject is in f minor then the entry of the second subject is down a step in e minor.
I was happy that the class seemed to be alright with my piece and language. My high school band directors were very firm on always playing a contemporary piece each term, and I remember not liking much of them, as like many of my peers. I remember playing some really bad contemporary band music, so my goal for this piece is to write a contemporary piece of band music, but one that say a high school band will enjoy, or even say the parents.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment